For the smoky Old Fashioned:
50ml Bulleit bourbon or bourbon/whiskey of your choice
1 brown sugar cube
Few drops of angostura bitters
1 orange, peeled into strips
Smoking wood chips of choice
For the spicy mixed nuts:
100g skin on almonds
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp smoked Maldon sea salt
1 tsp Szechuan pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp chilli flakes
- Place the sugar cube, angostura bitters and bourbon into a cocktail tumbler and use a muddler to break up the sugar cube and release the natural oils from the orange peel.
- Add an ice cube to the tumbler and stir continuously to allow the ice to melt into the alcohol mixture.
- Once the ice cube has almost melted add in more ice cubes one at a time while continuing to stir and dilute the bourbon.
- Fill the cocktail smoker with the wood chips, place on top of the tumbler and light the wood chips using a blow torch or alternatively a candle lighter.
Spicy mixed nuts:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Toast the Szechuan pepper in a small frying pan to release the aroma.
- Place the Maldon, Szechuan pepper and chilli flakes into a pestle and mortar. Pound the spices together until they reach a fine texture and stir through the smoked paprika.
- Place the nuts in a roasting tin with the spices and olive oil. Mix thoroughly to coat the nuts. Roast in the oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes check on the nuts and give them a stir to ensure they are evenly caramelising.
- Remove from the oven and allow the nuts to cool before storing in an air tight container or serving.