Key Cooking Skills is a two-part cooking course series, that takes place full-time during the day over one week, to help you learn the fundamental skills for cooking success. With no previous experience necessary, this course is designed to cover numerous skills and techniques in each recipe you cook and is a great way to boost your cooking ability in a short, concentrated period of time. By the end of the week, you’ll be equipped with a set of versatile skills to instil you with confidence and enthusiasm in the kitchen.
Part 1 and Part 2 of Key Cooking Skills may be taken in succession to obtain a complete set of fundamental cooking skills or taken individually. For those looking to take on more challenging skills, our weeklong Intermediate or Advanced Skills series may be of interest.
Part 2 of Key Skills explores various fundamental cooking skills, building on a basic knowledge that may have been gained in Part 1, covering breadmaking, shellfish, meat prep and cookery, pan and emulsion sauces and baking.
- Knife skills and kitchen organisation
- Slow cooking
- Jointing poultry
- Bread making
- Choux pastry
- Prep of prawns and cooking
- Creamed cakes
- Meat cooking and pan sauces
- Meringues and egg white whisking
- Sesame and soy glazed chicken with pickled cucumber and carrot salad
- Chilli con carne with chilli and cheese cornbread, guacamole and rice
- Prawns alla busara with aioli
- Lemon and poppy seed cakes
- Vegetable laksa
- Gateau Breton
- Roast duck with bramble sauce, dauphinoise and green beans with almonds
- Eton mess
Sample recipes may be subject to change