Key Cooking Skills is a two-part cooking course series, that takes place full-time during the day over one week, to help you learn the fundamental skills for cooking success. With no previous experience necessary, this course is designed to cover numerous skills and techniques in each recipe you cook and is a great way to boost your cooking ability in a short, concentrated period of time. By the end of the week, you’ll be equipped with a set of versatile skills to instil you with confidence and enthusiasm in the kitchen.
Part 1 and Part 2 of Key Cooking Skills may be taken in succession to obtain a complete set of fundamental cooking skills or taken individually. For those looking to take on more challenging skills, our weeklong Intermediate or Advanced Skills series may be of interest.
Part 1 of Key Skills focuses on all the kitchen basics like knife skills, kitchen organisation, bread, pastry, sauces and fish and meat cookery.
- Knife skills and kitchen organisation
- Basic sauces including flour based and composite sauces
- Roasting and organisation and time planning
- Shortcrust pastry
- Long slow cooking
- Rubbing in method and baking
- Fish prep and cook
- Risotto making
- Whisking egg whites and folding
- Macaroni cheese with leeks and bacon
- Roast beef and all the trimmings
- Black pepper shortcrust pastry with figs and blue cheese
- Lamb tagine and herbed couscous
- Pan pizza
- Grilled plaice with seaweed butter
- Raspberry and lemon curd slice
- Lemon posset with macerated strawberries with pink peppercorns and frozen mascarpone shards
- Chocolate roulade
- Pea and mint soup with marinated feta
Sample recipes may be subject to change