Intermediate Cooking Skills is a two-part cooking course series, that takes place full-time during the day over one week, to help confident cooks improve their skills and become more adventurous in the kitchen.
These courses are designed to cover numerous skills and techniques to boost your cooking ability in a short, concentrated period of time. By the end of the week, you’ll have worked your way through a series of delicious recipes and developed a broad range of more challenging cooking techniques to fuel creativity and freedom in your cooking.
Part 1 and Part 2 may be taken in succession to obtain a thorough intermediate skillset or taken individually. Those looking to develop high-level skills should explore our weeklong Advanced Cooking Skills course or Key Cooking Skills to learn cooking basics.
Part 1 of Intermediate Cooking Skills covers a range of more complex cooking techniques to add to an existing skillset, including meat preparation and cooking, fish, breadmaking, emulsion sauces, shortcrust and choux pastry and desserts.
- Meat preparation and cooking
- Enriched bread doughs and flatbreads
- Vegetable and farinaceous preparation and cooking
- Steak cooking
- Emulsion sauces (e.g. béarnaise)
- Slow meat cooking
- Shortcrust and choux
- Presentation of a plated dessert
- Prep and cook of a slip sole
- Courgette galette
- Chocolate profiteroles with praline crème patisserie
- Halibut osso bucco with gremolata
- Mushroom cream with compressed apple
- Sirloin steak with bearnaise
- Salad of roasted tomatoes, aubergine and harissa chickpeas
- Slip sole with grenoblois sauce
- Buttermilk pannacotta with sesame tuile, raspberry gel
Sample recipes may be subject to change