2 fennel bulbs
3 blood oranges
½ garlic clove
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp clear honey
½ tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
50g pitted black olives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the root and coarser tops of the fennel, but reserve the fronds. Remove any tough outer leaves and slice the remaining fennel very thinly.
- Finely grate the zest of 1 orange, then segment all 3 oranges and set aside, reserving any juice
- Peel and crush the garlic and put into a large bowl with the mustard, orange zest and honey. Whisk in the wine vinegar and reserved orange juice and season with salt and pepper, then whisk in the olive oil.
- Toss the sliced fennel in the dressing and leave to marinate in a cool place for at least 20 minutes before assembling the salad.
- Just before serving, wash the watercress and remove any discoloured leaves or tough stalks. Toss with the fennel and gently stir through the orange segments and olives, making sure everything is lightly coated in dressing. Taste the salad and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve garnished with the reserved fennel fronds.
Note: If blood oranges are not available, use navel oranges and add the juice of ½ lemon to the dressing.