Essential Bread & Patisserie is a 24-week professional course designed for chefs, food professionals and advanced level home cooks. It will deepen your understanding of baking and greatly extend your baking repertoire, allowing you to take on new challenges and unlock culinary potential you never knew you had!
You’ll bake over 50 recipes; learn how to work with wild yeast starters’ preferments and understand the benefits of slow proving bread dough and how yeast reacts differently in enriched bread. You’ll be taught the rules of working with gelatine and chocolate and make a variety of cakes, pastries and petit fours from classics to contemporary. In later units, you’ll make passion fruit macarons, sensational sourdough and you’ll even master a glossy mirror glaze.
On completion of the course, you’ll be well on your way to a potential career change or, if that’s not on the menu, a master baker and pastry maker in your own kitchen.
This 24-week course will guide professional chefs and passionate home cooks through foundation skills all the way through to advanced techniques and practices needed to refine and enhance their baking and patisserie skills.
Each week, you will unlock a new batch of video sessions that take you step-by-step through the process of cooking curated skill-based recipes. With Workshop’s unique hands-on method of learning, you’ll be cooking from day one with no need to read pages of theory in advance.
By joining the course, you will have access to the following through the Workshop app:
- 24 units with about six hours of cooking time each week. Great baking can’t be rushed so sometimes you’ll need extra time for slow proving and baking.
- 52 individual cooking sessions
- Collaborative group chat with your own private class and mentor
- Feedback on your dishes from your class and mentor via a private in-app feed of photo uploads
- A certificate of completion after you complete everything on the course
In addition to the core aspects of the course, you will also get:
- Downloadable Leiths recipes and additional resources for you to keep
- Units unlock weekly and you have the flexibility to learn at your own pace, with a total course access of 12 months after your start date.
- The opportunity to earn a full Leiths-accredited Baking Certificate at an additional two-day practical assessment in London
You can attain the industry respected full Leiths Essential Bread and Patisserie Certificate through this course, your mentor will review your progress to determine whether you’re ready for the practical two-day exam which takes place at the school in London. The assessment details can be viewed here: Online Essential Bread and Patisserie Two Day Accreditation.
Leiths has an unrivalled reputation in the food industry for producing highly-skilled, innovative graduates that go on to be the next leaders of the food world.
The past decade has seen an explosion in the varied career opportunities available within food, from private cheffing and hospitality, to recipe developing, media and food start-ups and entrepreneurship. Whatever your aspirations, the Leiths’ professional courses equip you with the lifetime skills, resources, network and solutions needed to kickstart your career.
Our professional students all benefit from our bespoke careers and recruitment agency Leiths List, drawing on Leiths network of alumni and industry connections to provide work experience, job placements and advice from some of the UK’s leading food businesses. Students have access to this support from the point that they begin their course well into their professional careers.
Visit Leiths List