100g cooking chorizo
2 celery sticks
4 inner cavolo nero leaves
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
A pinch of crushed dried chillies
400g tinned chickpeas
90g red lentils
750ml chicken and veal stock
small handful flat-leaf parsley sprigs
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the chorizo into roughly 1 cm cubes and put into a saucepan over a low heat to start to release the oil.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and finely chop the onion. Add this to the chorizo, increasing the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. In the meantime, peel the carrots, de-string the celery and cut both into 1 cm chunks. Remove the central stalk from the cavolo nero leaves and cut the stalk into 1 cm chunks. Chiffonade the soft part of the leaves and set aside.
- Add the chopped cavolo stalks to the pan with the carrots and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes, then add the paprika and crushed chillies and cook for 1 minute, stirring to ensure they do not burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to the pan with the lentils and stock. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Add the cavolo leaves 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Roughly chop enough parsley leaves to give you 1 tablespoon and stir this through the soup. Season to taste and serve.