Learn to cook elevated fish and shellfish dishes and dive into new culinary possibilities.
Designed for the confident home-cook wanting to take their fish cookery to the next level with more advanced recipes and techniques, this class covers a range of seafood and cooking methods such as pan frying, deep frying and braising to achieve even cooking and build texture.
This class will have a strong focus on sustainability with the menu changing with the seasons to reflect available produce. During spring and summer, you’ll learn to fillet a flat fish, shuck scallops, dispatch and prep a live lobster and make a bisque sauce. While in the autumn and winter seasons, you’ll learn the knack to shucking oysters, how to fillet a round fish, pan fry, prep and cook octopus, and make complimentary sauces.
- Scallops with peanut salsa, pickled mooli, radishes and coriander
- Roasted salt cod with bouillabaisse sauce and caramelised baby fennel
- Grilled plaice with seaweed butter
- Crispy oysters, soused vegetable salad and citrus mayonnaise
- Pan-fried sea bream, vermouth sauce, fennel puree, confit potatoes, samphire and hazelnuts
- Spanish braised octopus in paprika sauce
Menu may be subject to change
Cooking with your classmates is an integral part of your Leiths experience. You will cook some of your recipes in pairs, and some independently. Regardless, there is always more than enough food to go around, and often food to take home too.
Your day will comprise of a mixture of practical cookery and demonstrations performed by the teacher who is running the session. The exact format will vary from class to class depending on the style of cuisine and, in the case of visiting chefs, their individual teaching style.
Around 1pm, you will break for lunch and enjoy the dishes you have cooked with the rest of your class, accompanied by a glass of wine or other refreshments. In some classes, such as skills classes, where dishes may not be appropriate for lunch, a mezze lunch will be provided.
- Refreshments on arrival
- A recipe booklet
- All ingredients provided and weighed out for you in advance
- Lunch of your own making or sharing platters prepared by the school, both with wine or other refreshments
- We do the washing up
What to bring:
- Flat soled shoes
- Long trousers and a long-sleeved top are advisable
Allergies and dietary restrictions
We are happy to make adjustments where possible. However, some classes are unsuitable for people with particular intolerances as the menu would need to be completely different. We need 10 days’ notice to be able to properly check the class and adjust the order accordingly. Please read our full policy on allergies and dietary restrictions here.